Home » Helpful Hints
In the event of an auto accident . . . .
- STOP! Do not leave the scene
- Call the police immediately to report any accident, no matter how small,which results in personal injury or vehicle damage.
- Notify the police as to any medical assistance that may be needed
- Warn other motorists by turning on your vehicle’s flashers and setting up flares or other reflective devices starting 50 feet behind your vehicle. Signal for assistance by tying a handkerchief or anything white to the vehicle antenna.
- Do not accept responsibility or otherwise discuss the accident with anyone except police authorities and your independent insurance agent.
- Do not accept any monetary settlement at the accident scene.
- Remain calm and courteous.
- Exchange information with the other driver.
- Write down drivers license number, license plate number, and state. Get the insurance company name and policy number, plus make, model, year and description of vehicle. Lastly, record the name, address and telephone numbers of the driver.
- Write down the name and address of all passengers, injured persons or anyone with property damage.
- Get the names and contact information from at least two witnesses if possible. This is very important when the fault of an accident is questionable.
- Diagram the accident before leaving the scene.
- Note time of day, weather and condition of roadway (wet, dry, icy.)
- Show position of all vehicles before and after the accident, plus locations of signs, streets and medians.
- Note any apparent damage to not only your vehicle, but all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Write down any details you feel are important.
- For a free brochure to keep in your car call Jackie Clanton at 567-4108.